Friday, March 11, 2016

Rebels: "Droids in Distress" (Ep. 1.2)

"Your formal Jedi training starts tomorrow."

"Droids in Distress" actually opens with the distress of Ezra, distress over not being taught to use the Force by his would be mentor Kanan Jarrus, but it quickly moves to the distress of the entire crew of the Ghost as they lament over needing a job or not being able to keep the ship running. [I was strongly reminded of Firefly during this whole exchange.]

The droid part doesn't start until they actually begin their job, which is when we... Well, let's just say I was surprised to run into R2-D2 and C-3PO, basically, right off the bat for the series. They are the droids who are in distress. Okay, C-3PO is the droid who is in distress, but what's new? Of course, C-3PO believes that R2 is also in distress but, as we find out, R2 is really on a secret mission. Also sound familiar?

The episode gives us some the background for Zeb, one of the remaining of the Lasat. We get to find out why. I'll be interested to find out how this particular thread develops. It seems to me to be more along the lines of what Lucas originally had intended for the wookies before Chewbacca happened to them.

There's also what we'll call a cameo appearance by Bail Organa, somewhat like the way he shows up at the end of Revenge of the Sith. Organa was one of the movers behind the Rebellion, so I'm curious as to how often he's going to show up. I think my vote is for "more often," as long as he doesn't become some kind of deus ex machina device.

6 comments:

  1. Seems like the series is getting a little better than you expected? If it's really aimed at kids, the recycling of the plot a bit wouldn't really bother them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Briane: I don't know yet. I mean, I'm not expecting it to be bad.

      Delete
  2. My teaching partner has been talking about the series a lot recently. He's binge-watching with his son.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Theoretically, I'm binge watching it. But I'm binge watching it at the speed of my son's availability due to homework, which means we haven't watched an episode in... three weeks? Something like that.

      Delete
    2. My daughter and I are currently binging on Justice League. An interest in superheroes has come out of nowhere with her.

      Delete