Wednesday, August 28, 2019

Geek Out On This

My daughter has been playing at the Cotati Accordion Festival for... oh, a number of years now. Up to now, she's always played stuff that she's learned from going to her accordion lessons. You know, traditional stuff. Polkas and tangos and things like that. The kind of stuff that people automatically associate with the accordion and gives the accordion the reputation it has.

Which makes me want to go off on a tangent about Weird Al, whom I love and is probably the most well-known accordion player ever. Unfortunately, I'm not sure what he's done with his accordion playing has helped legitimize the accordion as a modern musical instrument. Which it totally should be, but I'm not going to go off defending the accordion, right now. Anyway...

This year is the first time my daughter has picked up music to learn outside of what she does in her lessons, and she's done all of this on her own. Needless to say, I love her choice of music.

3 comments:

  1. I thought Urkel made the accordion popular.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha! Wonderful.

    I've been spending a lot of time around accordions recently. I'm a little surprised my daughter hasn't shown more interest. She's quite a capable pianist so she already knows the right hand. Maybe someday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. TAS: My wife and I wanted her to be able to put her accordion to use at school but, basically, they told us they had no space/room/whatever for an accordion but, you know, if she wanted to take up a more conventional instrument...

      Delete