Friday, January 13, 2017

Fences (a movie review post)

I think I want to start by saying something that could be a bit controversial: This is not a "black" movie. Yes, there are some things in the movie that deal specifically with race issues but, mostly, it's a movie about a man, a very likable but horrible man, trying to deal with his life and his relationships and the disparity between those things and how he sees himself. Basically, he is so caught up in his view of how he has been unjustly kept down that he can't see how unjust he is being to those around him, especially his son.

I felt like Troy Maxson could have been my own father. [Which is why I'm saying it's not a "black" movie, because I think that gives the impression that you can only relate to the movie if you're African American, but I think Fences very facilely rises above that. Anyone not in the 1% should be able to relate to this movie.]

Although I don't think this is a Best Picture quality movie -- I had some issues with the ending -- though it will probably (and should) get nominated, the performances were amazing. Seriously amazing. This is possibly the best performance of Denzel Washington's career, which is saying a lot, I can't think of a better performance by any other actor in any movie I've seen this year. He was tremendous: likable and horrible. He was a guy you'd want to hang out with, stick with, as his friend Bono said, because he would take you places. And, also, give you an example of what things not to do, how not to be.

Viola Davis is great and certainly deserves best actress for this. She perfectly portrayed the wife trying to keep her wayward-leaning husband doing the right thing... even though he consistently managed to thwart her efforts without any seeming effort of his own. Her body language conveyed every frustration she felt while also communicating her failure to resist his charms whenever she would stand up to him. She was perfect.

Stephen Henderson, Jovan Adepo, and Russell Hornsby were all great. Hornsby has a lot of charisma so was really able to lean into the character of Lyons, the son trying to get by on his good looks and charm and the fact that he's a musician. But it's Adepo who really pulls off the dynamic of being the son of a father like Troy, the struggle of abandoning the search for approval from someone who never thinks of anyone other than himself.

Possibly the best performance of the movie, though -- and possibly the best performance of anyone this year -- was Mykelti Williamson as Gabriel, Troy's brain damaged brother. Williamson has been around for a long time, so you've probably seen him in stuff. I know him best from Justified. He was phenomenal. If he doesn't get best supporting actor for this role, it's definitive proof that there is something wrong with the world, not that we don't already have that, but, if he does get it, it might show that there's still hope. Seriously, he was great.

Fences is a good movie, a really good movie, but you shouldn't see it for the movie; you should see it for the acting.

6 comments:

  1. Sounds like this movie really impacted you. Denzel is an amazing actor so I have to agree that if this is one of his best roles then the acting has to be phenomenal. Hopefully I'll get to see this movie one day for myself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sheena: Hmm... I'm not sure I would say it "impacted" me. The movie itself, the story, lacks in some areas, but the acting was phenomenal.

      However, Hidden Figures is a movie I would say impacted me. Review for that coming on Monday.

      Delete
  2. I heard that was a good movie. I really want to see it sometime.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like one I'll enjoy. I hope it shows in CuraƧao, though... Film taste here leans more toward the Fast & Furious type, sadly. Any 'good' films ('good' meaning less exploding helicopters and more dialogue) play for a week or two only. But maybe Fences will be part of the film festival this year... Around March/April we get a sort of 're-run' of the Rotterdam festival, which is an absolute treat for us film lovers. If not, then... Maybe I can find it online somewhere. Eventually.

    Thanks for popping over to Quiet Laughter yesterday... This is, indeed, the year for intelligent resistance.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Guilie: You know, I have never seen one of those 'Fast' movies. I'm not much for action for the sake of action.

      Delete
  4. I rather doubt we'll get to this one while it's in theaters but it sure sounds like a good flick.

    ReplyDelete