Thursday, June 23, 2016

I Bought New Speakers

Maybe I should talk, first, about the new desk. No, wait, let's talk about my old monitor. Look, it's all related, so you have to understand the pieces.

Way back whenever, at some point when I was replacing a computer, I got a monitor (a nice monitor) that came with speakers that attached to it. The only problem was that once the speakers were attached, they couldn't be taken back off. It was a permanent attachment. It was nice, though, because I didn't have speakers in the way or being knocked over or any of a number of other issues that come with having speakers sitting around your computer.

It was nice until the monitor quit working. Which was after some years, but it was the first monitor I had that just quit working. I think. I can't remember any others, at any rate. But, see, here was the problem, my speakers weren't removable. I ended up with a new monitor that sat in front of the dead monitor so that I could continue to use those speakers -- they were still perfectly good -- which was still actually better than loose speakers banging around on the desk.

But, recently, we built a new desk system, which I have been intending to post about and of which I have pictures. Or did have pictures of. Might have pictures of, but I'll get to that. Anyway...
When we moved to the new desk, my wife didn't want the two monitors cluttering our space, so I ditched the one that didn't work even though it had my speakers. And, yes, I did try to get them off, but I would have had to break them to do it.

With the new desk system, my wife and I sit (or stand, because the desktop is standing height (we have bar stools for sitting)) next to each other. It's cozy. Which is beside the point of what I'm talking about although not beside the point of the desk. The point is that, for a while, we tried to share speakers. Mostly, I don't need or use speakers. Meaning, in general, I keep the sound on my computer turned off. However, occasionally, I want to watch a movie trailer or listen to music when I'm doing something like cooking. On the other hand, my wife keeps her sound on and uses it a lot. It began to be a hassle to switch the speakers to my computer and back every time I wanted to use the speakers for five or ten minutes.

I went out and bought some speakers. No, nothing expensive. I think they were $15. Maybe it was $10, but it wasn't more than $15. That was just a few weeks ago.

Now, I'm sure, at this point, you're wondering why you should care about my speaker purchase. Honestly, you shouldn't. This isn't about the speakers, though. They're just an example of my point, which isn't really anything you need to care about, either. It's just one of those, "Well, of course!" things that people find amusing, so, well, be amused. Or something.
When I get to the point.

At the old desk, my computer was hard-wired into our router, but the new desk is too far away for that (especially since we were actively trying to cut down on cords), so I had to switch to wi-fi. It could be completely unrelated, but I'm going to guess that it's not. After we moved everything to the new system, my computer started having "issues" with staying connected to the Internet. Then, right after buying the speakers, which I'm sure was just coincidental, my hard drive came down with a squeak. My wife said it sounded like a frog.

Two things about this:
1. My previous computer did basically the same thing before it died, but the squeak lasted more than a year before the hard drive finally actually died. So, you know, I thought I had more time.
2. When we moved the computers, I misplaced my flash drive.

So, yeah, I knew I needed to get everything backed up, and I started looking around for my drive, even was considering just going out and getting a new one, but it's summer, and it's busy, and, yes, I thought I had more time.

But I didn't. The hard drive crashed and burned (okay, it didn't literally burn, although we did have a computer once that did actually melt down the hard drive and emit smoke). Hard. So hard that my computer couldn't even read that hard drive existed. And, well, I may have lost everything on it; I'm still waiting to find out about that.

Mostly, my documents are fine. I have those backed up through March or April and everything is recoverable through other means or reproduce-able (like my current novel which I just started typing up in June; so, though I may have lost all the typing, I still have my handwritten copy). Except for some notes about project ideas, but, well, I guess those are just notes.

The hard thing is my pictures. All of my pictures were solely stored on that computer, and I may have lost all of them. I'm still adjusting to that thought. It's painful to think and knots up my stomach. So far, the news is not good, but I haven't had definitive word, yet, so there is still hope.

Does anyone need a cheap set of speakers?

8 comments:

  1. ACK! Losing the pictures would be very sad! I hope there's a way to recover it. When my computers have died it is the processor so I can actually retrieve all through an external hard drive (it cost about $30). Might be worth looking into. And I have new speakers too--at work. My old ones died this week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hart: Oh, yeah, I'm looking into all kinds of alternate storage options, right now.

      Delete
  2. That is just awful. The computer likes you to think that you have enough time so it can absolutely destroy your life. I'm sorry about the photos. That's a real shame.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jeanne: Yeah, I'm super bummed. Y'all have a few more weeks I've photos I've already set up, but that will probably be it for a while after that.
      Unless there is a miracle.

      Delete
  3. Ugh! Photos always seem to be at greatest risk when these things happen. We lost about a year of photos of our daughter when she was little the last time a computer died on us. Very sad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. TAS: They are. Even digital photos end up being difficult to store.

      Delete
  4. Oh boy. I'd hate to lose all my photos. Now I'm worried I will. I need to back them up. That's sad. I mean, great about the new desk but terrible about the photos. When you get a chance you should post a pic (new one?) of the desk though because I'm really intrigued by this. I don't know how you can have someone work right next to you. If anyone is behind or beside me while I'm writing I get all jittery.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Briane: I -had- pics of the whole process of the new desk, which is what I wanted to show. At some point, I'll get pics up of the system.

      I do understand what you mean about being jittery, though. I hate it when my kids, say, are hovering around behind me when I'm trying to work. I've gotten comfortable with my wife being there, though, and it's good.

      Delete