Wednesday, August 20, 2014

Ninja Mutants: An Extended Review -- Part Two: The Fantasy Paradigm (an IWM post)

Recently, I went to see the new Ninja Turtles movie with my kids (you can read my review of that here), and there are some things in it that go along with the fantasy "discussion" we're having right now. It's interesting enough that I think it deserves its own post, although I'm not including it in the actual exploring fantasy series. First, let's bring up our list of things that go along with fantasy stories:

1. The protagonist (I'm just going to say "hero" from here on out; it's shorter) is not an adult (and usually male).
2. The hero is an orphan (usually both parents are dead, although there is sometime one (usually the mother)).
3. The hero is "special" in some way.
4. There is a prophecy, generally related to the hero.
5. There is an old mentor of some sort, usually a male. (We recognize this character as "the wizard.")
6. There is a quest of some sort involved that only the hero can complete.
7. There is some kind of descent 
8. The hero has companions who help him on his journey.
9. There is some sort of "dark lord" who can only be defeated by the hero.

10. There's an absence of technology.

The thing of interest to me with this new movie is the protagonist...

And that's where I'll leave you. If you want to know the rest, you'll need to hop over to Indie Writers Monthly. If you've ever been a Turtles fan, even if only when you were a kid, you should hop over there right now! Oh, wait, Turtles to don't "hop." Um... Do a flying, ninja kick over there RIGHT NOW!

7 comments:

  1. Since they are supposed to be Ninjas, if they did a flying Ninja kick, technically you wouldn't see it...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I missed your review... Off to read the rest.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Alex: Well, I don't need to -see- it.

    Jo: His nose?

    Crystal: Yeah, I saw you over there. :P

    ReplyDelete
  4. TAS: I'm kind of assuming you'll continue to not see it?

    Michael: It's better than it looks. Like I said in the actual review, it depends upon whether your a Turtles fan. Some people can't get past the idea.

    ReplyDelete