The first two rounds of the demolition derby were meant to work as elimination rounds, and they did, but it was rather haphazard. Like, there were twice as many cars involved in round two as in round one. One of the cars that was meant to compete in round one, after driving by during the segment when they announced the cars, broke down and never made it into the arena. So they worked on that car during round one and it made into round two. It made me wonder how many other cars didn't make it into round one because they just weren't ready to compete. They also said that it would be the winners of the first two rounds that would compete for the final prize money ($4000? I don't remember for sure), but, when we got to the third and final round, they let any cars compete that were able, which didn't seem exactly fair to me, but, then, it was my first one. Maybe, that's normal?
The favorite car from round two was Party Artie.
This car, however, didn't make it:
Another very impressive car was #63:
And don't forget
It got too dark for my camera to take pictures by the time the third round was starting so a brief down without pictures:
- The cars that were going to compete came into the arena, which included the shark car. As soon as it came in, my wife said she was going to root for that car.
- When car #1 came in, I asked my daughter if she was going for that car, but she was undecided. She remained undecided through a large part of round three, which sort of defeats the purpose of choosing whom you are rooting for beforehand, but, oh, well...
- When #63 pulled in, I announced, "I'm for 63!"
- My wife immediately announced that she was for #63. That caused a short argument over the validity of that after having already picked a car. Her only defense was, "I didn't know #63 was going to be in this round." I gave her the pick.
- I took car #1 since my daughter was still being ambivalent.
- The round started and 4 or 5 cars were knocked out almost immediately, including "Party Artie," whose car just died.
- It came down to cars 1 and 63, hence the reason that my wife and I joined so willing into the cheering. My daughter remained ambivalent.
- 63 hung to the outskirts, speeding around the track and looking for opportunities to strike. 1 tended to bash his way through the "dead" cars in the middle of the arena. 63 took the advantage early on and looked like he had it wrapped up.
- But #1 was persistent and managed to get 63 hung up on another car and proceeded to bash him several times. Eventually 63 got away.
- And car 1 got stuck on another car while moving through the center melee. It looked like it was the end.
- But 63 moved in to strike 1; 1 managed to power into the other car and move it so that he avoided a direct hit. Instead of smashing 1, 63 just knocked him loose, and that gave 1 all the opportunity he needed.
- He caught 63 in the same place where 63 had been stuck before and plowed into him several more times until 63 went dead.
Here are a few more cool pictures from the event:
Yes, that is one of the cars pushed up the embankment and another stuck in one. They had to stop the derby to get 777 down. Getting stuck in embankments became more common as the derby progressed.
Yes, those are teddy bears on the burning car.
Those cars are stuck together. That happened more than once.
If given the chance, I'm sure I'd go see another demolition derby. It really was much more fun than I thought it would be.
Today is the release of "Part Twenty-nine: Loss." It's FREE! today, August 26 and tomorrow, August 27!
Also, remember, the first 5 parts of Shadow Spinner are available as one collection, which you can get here.
Here is a list of all of today's FREE! parts:
"Part Twenty-nine: Loss"
"Part Twenty-eight: The Shadow Place"
"Part Twenty-seven: Leaving"
"Part Twenty-six: The Bitter Fruit"
"Part Twenty-two: The Undying"
"Part Twenty-one: The Chase"
"Part Twenty: The Sword of Fire"
"Part Nineteen: Lost in the Garden"
"Part Eighteen: The Angel"
"Part Fifteen: Food of the Garden"
"Part Fourteen: Anger and Laughter"
"Part Thirteen: The Clearing"
"Part Twelve: The Gash in the Floor"
"Part Nine: The Shadow of the Tree"
"Part Eight: The Cold and The Dark"
"Part Seven: The Moth and the Shadow"
"Part Six: The Man with No Eyes"
That's 17 parts for FREE! today! Pick them up now while you still have the chance!