Friday, January 22, 2016

Star Wars: A Discussion (Episode VII)

My first 3D movie was way back in 1983, Spacehunter: Adventures in the Forbidden Zone. I can't say I thought much of it. What I remember is the movie being pretty terrible and the 3D being blatant. What I mean by blatant is scenes where something comes right out at you for no other purpose than coming right out at you to show off the 3Dness of the movie. That's not always a bad thing, but it usually is. Probably the only significant thing about this movie is that it was Molly Ringwald's first "big" movie, right before Sixteen Candles. It did not make me ever want to see another movie in 3D, though.

That was a thing I pretty much succeeded at. At least, I can't think of any other 3D movies I saw through the rest of the 80s. It lasted all the way up to U2 3D, which came out in 2007 in Real 3D. The U2 concert movie was the first to use the Real 3D technology and, frankly, it was amazing. At times, it felt like you were in the arena, the show was so immersive. And that's probably about as close as I'll ever get to seeing U2 in concert, so I was glad to have seen the movie in the theater.

Of course, it was quickly followed by other movies using the technology: Journey to the Center of the Earth, Coraline, and who knows what else since 3D quickly became a "thing" and Real 3D faded into the sea of new digital 3D technology. However, I was hooked. Unlike the old red/green 3D thing, the new 3D stuff, when done well, could make you feel almost like you were in the scene.

However, it didn't take long for theaters to raise the prices on the 3D shows high enough to make them not worth it. Not when you have a family of five, at any rate. So, except for special exceptions, we don't do 3D movies anymore. One of those exceptions was the re-release of The Phantom Menace in 3D but, rather than talk about that here, I'll direct you to my review of that.

In relation to The Phantom Menace, I have to say that I was upset when Disney called a halt to the 3D conversion of the other Star Wars movies. Star Wars was made for 3D. The Force Awakens just reinforces that. So, yes, we went to see Episode VII in 3D. I think that's the first 3D movie I've seen since we saw Episode I in 3D back then in 2012. The 3D experience of Force Awakens was amazing.

It's not because there are things flying at you and being blatantly 3D in your face, either. I actually don't remember anything like that in the movie. With Force, it's all about the environment and how much more rich and interesting it becomes in 3D. The 3D actually allows you to see more of what's in the movie, like steam being released from the Falcon after it lands, than you can see on the flat surface of the 2D presentation. It was... impressive.

Which is not to say that the 3D is perfect. There are still issues when a character is in the foreground but not completely onscreen. That can give a sort of warped appearance as the character is both coming out of the screen at you and being framed in by the wall. But those instances are few. I suppose until movies are actually holographic VR presentations, there will be some issues, but The Force Awakens is the best 3D I've ever seen. Not that I've been watching much 3D but, as I said, but, still...

The short of it is that, if you have opportunity, you should check this one out in 3D. It's worth it. And I hope Disney resumes the conversion of the other five Star Wars movies into 3D. Just... well... I want to see the trench run in 3D. That would be amazing!

12 comments:

  1. The 3D has become better and more subtle, which means in some movies it's hardly even noticeable but still adds to the depth of a film. Not all movies need it.
    You haven't seen a 3D movie in that long? We see at least five or six every year, plus the ones we watch at home on our 3DTV. (Which provides a very different experience than the theater. There, things come out; on our television, everything has depth.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alex: It's not worth the extra money for what usually ends up being for gimmicks. And I'm the only one in my family who actually prefers 3D.

      Delete
  2. I, sadly, cannot watch movies in 3D anymore. It messes with my vertigo. But I remember my first 3D experience was Captain EO at Disney World, and my last one was Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix. It was a special thing where just one scene at the end was done in 3D. By that time, I could just barely handle that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. M.J.: At some point, everything will be holograms. Maybe it won't bother you then.

      Delete
  3. I've been burned by too many 3D movies before - not immersive, just stuff popping out at you - that I can't remember the last time I sprung the extra few bucks for one. It's cool to hear that Star Wars actually makes good use of it, though. Most of them don't.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ABftS: It's pretty obvious they didn't make the movie -for- 3D as most of those things are. It's just that Star Wars is a world that already feels 3D, so it fits naturally.

      Delete
  4. I, unfortunately, wear glasses and something about them plus the 3D glasses over top gives me an excruciating headache by the end of the film. Which is sad because I really like the immersion of 3D movies, but would rather not feeling like I'm nursing a hangover after. Maybe I should go to one of those dine in theaters and actually get drunk while watching one. Wait, that might make me motion sick. Damn.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Madilyn: I suppose that would take picking just the right movie.

      Delete
  5. That pod race must have been awesome in 3D.

    We re-watched the first half of "Phantom" the other night -- Mr Bunches and I. He LOVED it. During the pod race scene he actually stood up and was jumping up and down yelling "Go get him Anakin!" I didn't think anyone could like Phantom that much. It made me like it MORE.

    I should do a review of The Force Awakens.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Briane: The pod race was awesome in 3D.

      And that's the thing about the prequels: Watch it with a kid who has not already suffered through the bias of an adult, and they all come away loving them.

      And, yes, you should do that review.

      Delete
  6. I wasn't so impressed by the 3D. That's how we watched the first time. My second viewing was on the wide, curved screen at DC's Uptown Theater. I preferred that.

    For me, 3D is a fun gimmick but the other trappings of theater viewing - big screen, stadium seating, great sound, an enthusiastic audience (as long as they don't actually talk through the film), etc. - are more meaningful. Especially with Star Wars, sound is a very big deal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. TAS: Not seeing 3D movies often, it had an impact on me. We only have one theater in the area with a plan for one of the curved screens. I guess I should check to see if it's in, yet.

      Delete