Tuesday, January 26, 2016

Clone Wars -- "Voyage of Temptation" (Ep. 2.13)

-- Fear not for the future, weep not for the past.

[Remember, you can sign up to join the Clone Wars Project at any time by clicking this link.]

In this episode is politics. Sort of. At least, that's the backdrop to the story. Satine has to go to Coruscant to affirm that she is staying neutral in the war despite the actions of the Mandalorian terrorist group, Death Watch. Death Watch, of course, doesn't want her to go. In Star Wars, that means you send an assassin.

Or assassin droids, as in this case. Freaky looking spider assassin droids. That have baby spider assassin droids inside them. If you have arachnophobia, this is not the episode for you. I mean, I have no issue with spiders at all -- I'm the designated "take the spider outside" person in our home -- but this episode kind of made my skin crawl.

There are a couple of things we learn in this episode:
1. Obi-Wan and Satine have come down on opposite sides in regards to the Separatists. Obi-Wan is a general and fully invested in defeating the Separatists. Satine is a pacifist and the head of a group of systems that want to stay neutral. To say that they don't see eye to eye is an understatement.
2. Obi-Wan and Satine have a past. Which is all I'm going to say because you should just watch it yourselves. What I will say is that this situation provides an interesting contrast to Anakin's.

In conjunction with the previous episode, this story arc elevates in importance even more. The details we find out about Mandalore along with Obi-Wan's backstory make this one of the most essential arcs in the series. I would say that it's "must see" for any Star Wars fan.



"Senators, I presume you're acquainted with the collection of half truths and hyperbole known as Ob-Wan Kenobi."

5 comments:

  1. I have come to a realization to live where I do in Tucson one must kill spiders that get in my home. The "no kill, put the spiders outside is a big NO. Outside OK inside I stomp them.
    Wolf spiders are the worst huge grey hairy poisonous spiders, then there are the, scorpions yuck.
    The only spiders I leave alone are Tarantulas but they stay outside and eat scorpions.
    Now back to Star Wars..... must zoom ahead and watch this one.

    cheers, parsnip

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have come to a realization to live where I do in Tucson one must kill spiders that get in my home. The "no kill, put the spiders outside is a big NO. Outside OK inside I stomp them.
    Wolf spiders are the worst huge grey hairy poisonous spiders, then there are the, scorpions yuck.
    The only spiders I leave alone are Tarantulas but they stay outside and eat scorpions.
    Now back to Star Wars..... must zoom ahead and watch this one.

    cheers, parsnip

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. parsnip: Oh, well, scorpions I have no compassion for. They creep me out and deserve a shoe. Every time. It's probably all because of this time I was at my friend's house...

      Delete
  3. I love how snarky she gets with him. They'd have made an interesting couple! A believable one, though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. TAS: Oh, yeah, she definitely didn't hold back. I love the line of hers I quoted at the end of the post.

      Delete