Tuesday, July 21, 2015

Clone Wars -- "Bombad Jedi" (Ep. 1.8)

-- Heroes are made by the times.

[Remember, you can sign up to join the Clone Wars Project at any time by clicking this link.]

This is probably the episode that no one was waiting for, considering the general view of Jar Jar, that is. Which is not to say that the episode doesn't have its moment, because it does. It's just that most of those moments are slapstick.

The actual conflict in the episode revolves around someone close to Padme betraying her in order to hand her over to Nute Gunray, who is still seeking revenge against her because of the fallout of The Phantom Menace. The real question, though, is why was Padme taking Jar Jar with her on a diplomatic mission. Maybe she thought this was a safe one to take him along on considering that she was going to see someone she was close to. And, yes, we know that Jar Jar becomes part of Padme's diplomatic contingent even by the time of Attack of the Clones, but it's unclear what his role was supposed to be during this particular mission.

What his role ends up being is "Jedi rescuer" as the battle droids mistake him for a Jedi after he throws on a cloak to hide himself during his attempt to rescue the captured Padme. Hi-jinks, of course, ensue.

My issue with the episode has nothing to do with the actual hi-jinks. For what it is, the episode is generally amusing. The issue is that it feels thrown in in order to give some screen time to characters who have mostly been left out of the narrative to this point: Padme, C-3PO, and, even, Jar Jar. So, while the episode does have an important plot point, overall, it feels a little strained and as if it's a bit of comic relief in the very serious story arcs that have so far dominated the series.

This is not an episode I would recommend to a first time viewer, but it's enjoyable enough within the context of watching the series.

"The ship has been destroyed."
"Battle droids?"
"No..."
"Jar Jar?"
"Jar Jar."

9 comments:

  1. I also love the exchange you included at the end of your post.

    Star Trek does this, too: toss in a comic relief episode as a break from all the serious stuff. It's nothing new, of course. See porter role in Macbeth. I am not a Jar Jar fan by any means but I can understand using him in this way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. TAS: I'm partial to the gravediggers in Hamlet.
      Now, I'm trying to think of other shows that use this technique, but I'm drawing a blank.

      Delete
    2. Well, there's M*A*S*H. But that's usually more the other way around - comedy as the standard fare with the occasional serious (and breathtakingly brilliant) episode to remind us all there's a war going on.

      Delete
    3. TAS: That's true. It's been a long time since I've seen M*A*S*H.

      Delete
  2. I'm getting caught up so I have no comment on this one, yet. I'll probably post once I'm back up to speed later this week. But an overall comment on Jar Jar is what I've always maintained: he was NO WORSE than Ewoks, and R2D2 was used for comic relief a lot of the time. Does anybody but me remember/cringe at the scene where Yoda and Artoo fight over a lamp?

    And I'd rather have 1,000 Jar Jars than the SuperArtoo that manifested by the end of the series. *fingers crossed* that Artoo gets blown up in the credits of Ep 7.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm getting caught up so I have no comment on this one, yet. I'll probably post once I'm back up to speed later this week. But an overall comment on Jar Jar is what I've always maintained: he was NO WORSE than Ewoks, and R2D2 was used for comic relief a lot of the time. Does anybody but me remember/cringe at the scene where Yoda and Artoo fight over a lamp?

    And I'd rather have 1,000 Jar Jars than the SuperArtoo that manifested by the end of the series. *fingers crossed* that Artoo gets blown up in the credits of Ep 7.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Briane: I like the ewoks, too.
      I have to wonder if R2 held a grudge against Yoda for not doing more to save Anakin. Maybe that's why he trolled Yoda on Dagobah.
      But I love that scene.

      Delete
  4. Clearly- I need to rewatch this series too, as I remember nothing much about it. Not sure if I've even seen the last two years of it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rusty: You should re-watch it and get in on the series!

      Delete