Thursday, February 3, 2011

To Start Infinity

Let's start out all metaphysical: infinity is finite. Why? Because anything with a beginning must have an end. Considering that some infinities are larger than others, I think we have to believe, that, although infinite, the infinite has boundaries. Yeah... I don't want to get into it, either, since that's not what all of this is about, but it is fun to think about.

What, then, is all of this about? That's a very good question!

Last year, over a six month (or so) period, I wrote a novel. I'm not going to say it's the hardest thing I've ever done, but, having written it, I do know why more people don't write. Writing is... well, it's just hard. It's sort of like running a marathon or climbing a mountain. It doesn't matter how many times you've done it or how good you get at it, every time you do it, it's hard work. People can't always see that, though, since anyone can run a bit or hike a bit, but no one who has climbed Everest or run a marathon will ever tell you that it was easy.

The best part about all of this (and I do mean that sarcastically) is that writing the book was the easy part of all of this. And that is why there are so many more authors than published authors. We'd like to think that it's because of quality. That makes us feel better. "He's not published, because he's crap." That frees us from any sort of responsibility toward the author. But it's just not true. I'll point to Emily Dickinson, first. Most people believe that she wasn't published during her life because she didn't want to be, and, while that's not exactly untrue, she did try to get published early in  her career, was turned down, and didn't continue to pursue it. Of course, we know her as one of our most beloved poets. Then there's Stieg Larsson. I just want to say that I don't want to be posthumously "discovered."

So, back to the question: what is all of this about?

The first thing it will be about is discussing writing, the writing process, and the publishing process. In no particular order. I'll pretty much go with whatever I feel like addressing on any given day, so this could mean that I will go off on tangents that have nothing to do with the above. In fact, I can say fairly definitively, that it will mean that I will go off  on tangents that have nothing to do with the above. But, hey, it's my blog, so I get to do that if I want to.
The other thing it will be about will be convincing you, the (currently non-existent) audience, that you want to check out my book. Being someone who reads, because every author must read (we'll get into that, later (possibly, even, next time), and speaking as someone who reads (from an objective a standpoint as I can achieve), I know my book is good. No, it's not Harry Potter (I don't think I'll ever approach the wit and cleverness of Rowling), but it is better than, well, most of the similar offerings on the market.

Having said all of that, here are the details about my little book:
The House on the Corner (copyright 2010)
It is currently available for the Kindle: http://www.amazon.com/House-Corner-Tower-Hill-ebook/dp/B004LROL7Q/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&m=AG56TWVU5XWC2&s=digital-text&qid=1296767388&sr=1-1
There is a preview of the first chapter available: https://www.createspace.com/Preview/1077220
It will be available as hard copy soon (within weeks). I am awaiting my proof copy, as we (I) speak. And, I have to say, it is very difficult to await that proof copy and not just release the book for sale! It will be available through Amazon and Amazon's Create Space branch. Links will follow as soon as the book is available.

2 comments: